At first, a chapel was founded in 1438 on this place, when it was depending of La Chapelle d’Abondance. Châtel became a parish in 1643. A parish church was built in 1662, and was extended in 1848 so as to be large enough for the population and the first tourists.
To find out the times of the masses, go to the website.
ut the unsteady ground caused damage to this church, so a new one was built in 1908 on a different plan : the architect Fleury Raillon choosed a north-south orientation, perpendicular to the former building.
The current church was built in a neo-gothic style, with stones extracted from the former Saix quarries. Inside, the grey and rose colors inpire peace. “Trompe-l’oeil” paintings imitate stone veins.
The statues of Saint-Laurent, Saint-Pierre et Saint-Paul were carved by Max Misztal, a Polish artist who gave several sculptures to the village, like the little wood chapel “Notre-Dame-des-skieurs” that can be seen near the church.
The stain-glass windows date from the 1960s, and were designed by the master glassmakers Balmet and Meyer, from Grenoble. Those windows show Gospel scenes translated into everyday life in Châtel.
From 01/01 to 31/12, daily.
Xmas mass in Châtel the 24th December at 7.30pm.
Free of charge.